Saturday, December 12, 2009

Estaré en casa para navidad! (i'll be home for christmas!)

WEEK TWO: SHEPHERDS

I will be home in six days. Crazy. We've been working on our Christmas program, so that's been keeping me busy which is good. Monday is the night of the program and we have to be in town at 7:20 am, we're practicing for 4 hours, have a break for lunch, the teachers stay and help decorate until 4, be back to practice again at 5:30 until the program at 7, have the program and stay to clean up afterward! s0.... looking at a very long day with school on Tuesday morning :)

This week was shepherds (pastores) and I hid pictures of the Christmas story characters around the school and made the kids a scavenger hunt page to try and find them all. They LOVED it. They were a little better at keeping secrets this week so that's good :) Only 3 people found Baby Jesus, so I was excited about that hiding spot :) The kids were pretty good considering the crazy schedule this week so that was nice. My only frustration was with trying to teach "Research Projects" - which includes bibliographies, sources, taking notes.... bah. Hopefully they are able to understand eventually! It's especially frustrating because there is not a lot of resource books in our library. The project is for the students to research a country (not Honduras or the United States) because that was about the only thing that could be researched with the books, and even those are sadly lacking in information. Example: most of the books have maps with the USSR still labeled. So... who knows how accurate the information is, and I don't know how many of my kids have access to the internet (plus that would make another rich/poor division between my students), but I suppose they can still gain the research project experience even if the information is completely inaccurate!

I'm really happy with things here, but as it gets closer to 'being home' time, I've started thinking about the things I will NOT miss about living here ... here are some of them:
~ not being able to flush toilet paper/having to throw that trash away
~ the billions of mosquitos/spiders/ant bites that I have had for four months now
~ rocky terrain wherever I go
~ having to pay things in exact amounts (everything is done in cash here and no one ever has change)
~ crappy internet
~ I'm going to put 'cold' nights, but I know I can't really complain based on the blizzardy weather in Iowa right now :)
~ not being able to drink tap water
~ no carpets anywhere
~ people not being able to call me back!!
~ not being able to watch Broncos games
~ my family and friends!!

So hopefully not having all these things in the US will balance out the nasty weather that I am not looking forward to AT ALL!

See some of you in a week! The rest of you... whenever :) Have a good 3rd week of Advent!

1 comment:

  1. Laura Beth I'm praying that you will have a safe trip back to Iowa. we will be anxious to see you. We are having some cold weather. I just enjoy your messages so much. Sorry I don't write you more often. I was well remembered for my 90th birthday. It was good having so many well wishes from family and friends. Love see you soon. grandma gertie.

    ReplyDelete