Sunday, February 28, 2010

lenguas.... (languages. or tongues ;))

When the verb ser is used with a first or second person subject in the main clause, followed by a relative clause, the verb of the relative clause will be conjugated in third person, based on its agreement with the relative pronoun as subject.

uh huh. So, I have this Spanish grammar book from college. Let me tell you a little bit about me and Spanish in college.... we did not get along. I think I had a boyfriend during my grammar class which equaled not as much studying as I should have done, and there was all this grammar vocabulary that I didn't understand at all. I think in one of my education classes, I had a professor that said we learn things like that to forget them, so as far as English went.... I don't remember direct objects or relative pronouns or antecedents. Anyway, all that to say, when we moved those to learning in a different language... I really, really didn't understand and I didn't try to learn it. (Bad idea, kids, pay attention in class!- and I'm not just saying that cuz I'm a teacher now ;))

Fast-forward a couple years, and I'm now having to teach the English language and grammar to my 6th grade- which means I really have to know what I'm talking about! So, now that I actually understand some of these vocabulary terms, I actually really enjoy the grammar side of things. So, I decided to take out that Spanish book (which I brought to Honduras for fun, and didn't understand at the beginning of the year) and I understand it now! Which means my Spanish skills have improved greatly. I also am trying really hard to talk to people in Spanish and not worry if I sound dumb. I'm learning! YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment