Tuesday, January 12, 2010

back again.

I remember the one reason I liked snowy cold weather (and there is only one reason) - all the bugs are dead. The first week back I quickly acquired 17 new bug bites- 3 on my face, one right under my eye which proceeded to puff up and make me feel like I was squinting at people for about 4 days :) But other than that, I'm pretty happy to be back. I thought I'd be thrilled to be back, which I am, but it was a little bittersweet realizing how long it's going to be before I'm home again. For those of you wondering... yes Emily's wedding was beautiful. I only cried a little bit :)

When I left Honduras it was 70 degrees. When I came back, it was FREEZING. Okay, so relatively freezing. It's between 40-50 degrees which sounds like it could be decent but.... it's windy and cloudy and gray and we can't escape from it ever. Our houses and schools are completely open so I just dress in lots and lots of layers :) Hopefully it gets back to being nice and sunny and WARM!

School has been about as good as can be expected for the first week back. My kids are wild and goofy and don't want to work! I bought a gumball machine while at home with lots and lots of gumballs to use for incentive with my class. The first day I had it at school, I (yes of course it was me!) knocked it on the floor and since it only cost a dollar it definitely broke... right after I filled it all the way up with gumballs. I instantly had 21 sixth graders crawling on the floor trying to grab all of them. awesome :)

I have actually felt really out-of-sorts since being here and I don't if it's from lack of sleep over break or just getting back into daily routine. Saturday, we were walking down the mountain and I turned my head to make fun of one of my friends (two lessons here: 1) never make fun of your friends 2) never, ever stop looking at the road when you are walking on a mountain). I tripped, fumbled around in the air for a little bit, and then landed on my hands and knees and skidded for a second. It was great! I think my palms will heal but... kind of sucked while it was happening!

Part two of feeling out of sorts was Sunday morning. We usually try to make pancakes over the weekend because we actually have time to have a long breakfast. I thought I'd be helpful and cook that morning.... pancakes from a mix- easy right? It should be .... but for some reason I could not make pancakes. Plus I was knocking things off shelves all over the place- in my defense we have a very small kitchen without any counters but still- I felt very uncoordinated and ridiculous. After scraping 4 pancakes into the trash, I burst into tears and told my roommates I just couldn't do it! Looking back now.... it's funny. Crying over pancakes? hilarious right? :) But I really did feel highly incompetent and stupid so it was kind of a bummer. Anyway, I think I've mostly gotten over my more-than-usual uncoordination but .... we'll see :)

OH. I forgot. I'm typing this from my house. We got internet on the mountain :)

Enjoy your week!

1 comment:

  1. Laura BEth I so enjoy your messages. I just finished reading your message to grandpa. Emily and Andrew's wedding was wonderful. I was glad to have witnessed the beautiful and meaningful wedding. Trust your experience in the kitchen will be better in the days ahead. We love you dearly. We continue to have cold and gloomy weather.

    ReplyDelete